Uploading members generated content
The CollectionOfCards platform allows its members to upload the following information that then becomes publicly available:
- Images and texts that members add when they create an account on the platform
- Online comments and reviews
- Images and texts that members add when they list new decks in the CollectionOfCards Catalogue
- Links to YouTube videos embedded to the platform’s pages
The Fair dealing/Fair use exceptions
The CollectionOfCards platform allows its members to upload small portions of copyright protected images of cards and its text descriptions, and creators’ bios under the Australia Copyright Act that permit the use of the above copyright materials as the fair dealing for:
- Research and study
- Review and criticism
- Parody and satire; and
- Reporting the news
Under the USA copyright protection law the “fair use” exception is based on the use freely small portions of copyright-protected materials for the purposes of criticism, commentary, or parody.
When members of the cards collectors’ community upload images and texts to the CollectionOfCards platform, they retain the copyright to these images and texts. The members have to be aware of the images and texts’ fair dealing/fair use at the platform for educational and informational purposes, never infringing copyrights of legal owners.
To protect members of the cards collectors’ community from copyright liability, the CollectionOfCards platform curates user-generated content:
- To prevent uploading content which infringes someone else’s copyright
- Reserving the right to remove any content we believe may infringe copyright
- Clarifying what kind of content members can and cannot upload
Right of publicity
Under the Australia Competition and Consumer Act, the CollectionOfCards platform allows its members to upload without permission logos of manufacturers and publishers protected by trademarks and copyrights. The platform reserves the right to remove a logo receiving a claim from an owner.
Under the right of publicity in the USA, the members of the CollectionOfCards platform should not use logos of manufacturers and publishers in a commercial manner for promotion and selling of products or services that damage their reputations or cause defamations.